Monday, June 13, 2016

GPS: New Direction for Fitness and a Healthy Lifestyle

When you leave your house… do you usually know where you are going? I do. I know before I even get ready to leave. Depending on where I am going determines when I leave, who or what pet goes with me, what I wear, if I do my hair or put makeup on, and what I bring with me. I live in the country and am surrounded by woods and fields so, very little I do involves not getting in my car. My car has a fancy dashboard with satellite conveniences, including GPS. Programming the GPS is easy and has several benefits… I rarely leave my house without a destination in mind, so I almost always have my GPS programmed. I love the precise knowledge of expected time of arrival and the ability to be alerted of traffic updates and detours.

GPS- global positioning system. Did you know there are actually 24 global satellites and when four of them are unobstructed and line up with you, BAM! that’s how you get your GPS location (so says Google and Wikipedia). I thought of this amazement with a revelation… why can’t we have a weight loss journey or fitness GPS? How fantastic would it be to hear “700 calorie chocolate chip cookies ahead, turn away now” or after you have made a less than desirable choice you may hear, “recalculating, use the elliptical for 30 extra minutes and resume normal activity as planned.” Let’s face it, most of us know how to succeed in our journey. It is the action of succeeding that is challenging. I am fully aware of what to do, it’ the doing it that pains me.

I am challenged with a healthy lifestyle. I am challenged with a desire to lose 100 pounds. I am challenged to build a community of others like me and share our strategies, successes, and struggles to support each other through. Three years ago, I used my blog to celebrate my 40th birthday. I created a list of 40 fantastic things and enlisted the help of friends and family to check off and add to it. Weight loss was an item on my list… it remains unchecked.

Here I am on another journey. This journey is a story of success. It is a story where I set up a series of strategies to assist in achieving a healthy lifestyle. Just like the varied unobstructed view of the satellites in space for my GPS, I know that not every strategy will be in full effect every moment. It is my hope that a few will remain lined up and just like GPS, BAM! enough line up to provide me with the path to success.

So, join me on my journey. Watch, learn, offer insight, share strategies and successes.

Here’s to a healthy lifestyle, and of course… a little less of me. 

Jen

4 comments: