Monday, July 9, 2012

Cinco de Mayo Salsa

I lived a few great stories this week and have returned to this love of a blog. While searching for pics and reviewing, I realized I missed a few great stories. Here’s to better late than never…
I live near a great little city that offers an amazing array of excitement and entertainment. This Cinco de Mayo I decided to take a suggestion from an amazing barista and try one of our local festivalish adventures and of course, rope a few friends into it too. It hasn’t been since high school that I celebrated this fantastic Mexican holiday. My Spanish has declined from fluent to failing and I was bummed that I didn’t get a true Mexican feast… but I planned to celebrate with dance.

The Shoes
I donned my bright red dress and a fun pair of leopard heels, an outfit sure to make a fantastic night. I saw a reflection of Cha-Cha that I could not deny; I decided to take the big black and red lace flower out of my hair and left it on the bathroom sink. Easy hair, waterproof mascara, ready for a long night, off I went, to brush up on my skills at the early group salsa lesson. I met a friend and we giggled our way in.


The Lesson
 Everybody gather around, just a few simple steps. 1-2-3 and 5-6-7 and… I was feeling that beat I once adored. Make two lines, “who wants to lead?” Before I knew it we were rotating partners and I was on at least my fifth partner. The smooth talking short guy; man I wish my dress wasn’t cut so low. The cocky college kid; “THAT was not the signal.” The tall dark and handsome; he scuffed my shoes and should surely not lead. The sweet oriental guy who never spoke, but smiled nonstop. Then the one, an older gentleman. This partner was smooth and sexy and not at all sexual. He was like dancing con mi tio favorito! I learned so much in just three simple minutes.

The Band
The night went on. I danced with more people than I could count. I found expected friends, made new friends and avoided a few. I danced until my hair looked like I just stepped out of the shower. I learned a few new steps, stumbled over a few partners and danced until I couldn’t dance anymore. It was a new adventure, an old adventure revisited. I had a few hours of pure joy. The crowd was amazing, the band was great, and the simple act of dancing and dancing and dancing brightened my spirit for days. Only one question remains, why have I not salsa’d since?

1 comment: