Friday, January 13, 2012

Bustin' Caps with My Man

Bringing together hearts and homes leads to many new perspectives. He grew up with guns under the bed, behind Mama’s chair, maybe even propped beside the front door. I grew up with guns only around the few gansta guys I chose to run with. Joe and circumstance have taught me that guns are not just for trouble, but out here in the country- you may actually have an opportunity to use it for something worthwhile. (Being cornered on your porch by a coyote can change any girl’s perspective.) Big, little, shiny, camo; a gun’s a gun to me. I learned to handle them safely, load, unload and shoot. I am not at the ready to carry concealed or understand the common citizens need for an automatic weapon, but I am comfortable with the idea and respect others varied opinions.

For Christmas, one gift I gave my hubby was a shooting range package. It was an awesome Living Social deal that I couldn’t pass up. This morning I spent over two hours bustin’ caps with my man. We fired 22s and 9mms; one with a little kick and one with a bronco’s buck. It was a blast. We started with just a couple of people shaped targets, moved on to some more challenging little circles, and actually had a photo target of a lifelike man pointing a gun at me before we finished. I did pretty well. I had some trouble figuring out one of the sights and missed the entire target about 5 times. (Really now- I had to give my hunny something to puff up his chest about.) Towards the end, I actually shot a few rounds better than he did, YEAH ME! Picture me; plastic ear muffs, goggles, black boots with 3 inch heels and big silver hoops… jumping up and down in the testosterone full shooting range with my tongue out… “I did better than you!” 

The actual  lifelike target described.
This experience was amazing. It wasn’t on my list, but it is list worthy. If you haven’t done it, try it. Shooting ranges will give lessons, lend guns, sell ammo. There is something new in my core being today. I’ve taken a gun safety class, shot here and there, have my own with a cute pink carrying case. Firing off almost 500 rounds in a few hours, washing the lead and gunpowder off my hands, knowing I can pick it up, load it, fire, trouble shoot a jam, a-l-l-b-y-m-y-s-e-l-f. All thanks to bringing together hearts and homes, and a new perspective. Thanks and I love you Joe. Today, I am even thankful for a few of the things I didn’t think I liked.

A girl’s gotta just do it. You’ll walk a little taller that day forward. Local ladies, hit me up… we’ll go together.

No comments:

Post a Comment