Saturday, January 7, 2012

A List for a List

My entire life I have felt some sort of satisfaction by crossing items off a list. As a child, I would create my own goal charts and add stars for myself. I do not remember this vividly, but my hoarding tendencies have allowed me to experience pulling a few of my own charts out of the tattered box I’ve been lugging around for decades. (I should tell you, my fear of becoming the crazy cat lady certainly limits my saving.) I think I started summer reading lists before they were handed out and, I don’t even have an older sibling. My summer list contained things like, make 3 mix tapes from WBLS from the top of the Empire State Building and 1 from 92rock7, teach Freddy how to ride his bike without help, and solve Rubik’s Cube without taking any stickers off. I would write, rewrite and cross things off my list. I can remember sometimes adding things to a list just to be able to cross it off. Thirty years later, there’s a list on my kitchen counter, a list hung on the wall outside my son’s bedroom, a few lists on my desk at work, a faded penned note between my thumb and wrist… what in the world made me think I could manage Flying Fabulously into Forty with just one list?

Today, blog readers, I will be not only making lists related to my list, but I will be creating a binder to collect the data of my journey. There will be sections for counted items, calendars, and protector pockets for tickets or something. I can feel the excitement burning in my soul… For those of you with prominent OCD elements, I know you are wondering what you could create along with me. For those of you who are still wondering what “WBLS from the top of the Empire State Building is, google it. Go on with your day in bliss, write a few things you wish to accomplish or even just know you will do today on a list, if crossing it off makes you arch your back, takes your breath away a bit, or just makes you smile… list on baby. List on!

No comments:

Post a Comment