Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Making of a Polar Plunge

When I came up with the idea of completing a Polar Plunge, I have no idea what I was thinking. I decided it would be a good idea to jump into ocean water in the winter to simply say I have done it. I committed to it, blogged it and talked about it. I even had a few fantastic people caught up in my excitement and agreed to commit to it as well. I may not have been really thinking at all, but it is happening less than a week from today.
It was over a month ago I began this plan… and just a few days ago realized it was crunch time. Fantastic foolish friends involved and committed, check. Team page created, check. Donations for the Special Olympics being collected, check. Hotel room reserved, check. Costume contest? Hmmmmm….

Early on, part of the fun was creating a team theme and name. Frosted Flakes; perfect! It certainly speaks to the frozen crazy chicks we are and will be. Picture Tony the Tiger, toe in the water, shivering…”The Water’s GGGGGGRRRRREAT!” It couldn’t be any more perfect! But really… a costume? A costume that would be fun, fantastic, and perfect to parade around the boardwalk and jump in the freezing cold water? A trip to Joanne’s was in order for some inspiration.

I walked out of Joanne’s with 1 ¼ yards remnant of zebra striped fabric, a box of orange RIT dye, a few yards of orange tulle, a few yards of black tulle, and two rolls of black organdy ribbon. Step one, create a tiger out of a zebra, check (with the unfortunate addition of eight orange fingers.) Step two, fun and fantastic with tulle. Roll it, cut it, loop it, check. Add a few extras from the craft collection, check. Entertain the cat and calm my soul, check.

The rest is in progress. I am afraid you will need to return in a few days for an update. In the meantime, would you care to visit this link Jen's Frosted Flakes page and make a donation in our fantastic, fun, and out of our minds honor to the Special Olympics?

(How's that for a commercial break? LOL)

Roxy, too quick for a real action shot :)

No comments:

Post a Comment