Monday, January 30, 2012

Goosey Lucy or Turkey Lurkey

I have been dealing with headaches as long as I can remember. There became a certain degree of headache I consider normal and can carry on through the day without incident. When the intensity or focus of my headache changes from the usual, it becomes increasingly distracting. When it begins to include nausea, forget it… I am done. Most days it becomes a late start and a few pills, caffeine and home remedies get me out the door. Today, a late start turned into a sick day.
This headache begins at my eyebrows and wraps around the top of my head, pulls down the back of my neck and tightens all the way into my shoulder and down to my lower back. It feels like a taught drawstring. My left side feels great because if I move my head too much, it feels as though my right side might implode from my shoulder to my ear. It’s quite likely that I was grinding my teeth all night and I am simply suffering the consequences today.

Despite my headache, life must go on. I have no nausea and therefore have been able to wash dishes, prep for dinner, wash, dry and fold three loads of laundry, sweep the floor, feed the cats and dogs and head outside to take care of my farmette. The farmette is really the reason for the blog, the headache may be key to the perspective.

Goosey Lucy
As soon as the sliding door opens the extremely loud “Hooooonnnk, hooooonnnk” of our guard goose, Lucy, begins. She waddles up the hill hollering that it is late and I have not fed her yet. As I walk to the shed, she comes along nipping at my calves as the seven ducks waddle behind her quacking and grunting, much more politely. I fill a bucket of feed and put it down for them and they have at it with vengeance. I head down the hill to the pen with a bucket of grain for the goats and some feed for the turkey.

As I open the gate, the goats surround me but walk patiently with me to the trough, the turkey hops along with us. As the goats munch the grain I pour into the trough, Turkey Lurkey flys up to where I hang his feed bucket, puts his tail up and dances proudly for me as he “thump, thumps” his happy sound. I hang his bucket and watch him dive in. 

That is where the perspective hits, Goosey Lucy or Turkey Lurkey...
Turkey Lurkey
Who do I want to be?

Goosey Lucy is loud, in your face, and not well mannered. Turkey Lurkey is easy on the ears, showy, yet polite and thankful. I think they each have a certain reflection of me. At home, I expect they know what I want and if they don’t take care of it, I will likely chase them down biting and barking. Goosey got her food, but no extra. Turkey got his food, a little attention, and a little lovin’. Today, headache and all, I’m gonna aim for a little less Lucy and a little more Lurkey. How about you?






2 comments:

  1. Jen....I too suffer from amazing headaches. I love how you say some level is normal. Yes! And that is as sad as it is true. I also have a Lucy inside....probably more than a Lurkey. I think I'd like to learn to bring the Lurkey out more. Bees to honey? Kill them with kindness! Feel better....thanks for the insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy, thank you for your comment. Here's to a few headache free days :)

      Delete