Sunday, February 19, 2012

Lessons from the Bull

Ride a mechanical bull. What does it mean to you? Can you smell cigarettes and beer or hay and horses? Does the phrase bring to mind the sexiness of an Urban Cowboy scene? Can you here the twang of old Hank Williams or the more modern save a horse, ride a cowboy or maybe even pop, lock and drop it? I simple text from an old friend, a passing opportunity I may have let fly by before this “List.” To make time for an old friend and a few new ones, off we go. For me, it now brings to mind all of those things, amazing friends, fun, freaking hysterics and a few new lessons.

The love of a true friend is priceless. The ability to raise an eyebrow and share a glance and get it all in a minute, it is something one cannot replace. Two friends that chose similar yet different lifestyles, followed separate yet parallel courses but together throughout, and now doing it all over again, is simply amazing. One of the best moments of my night was for us to watch the two bald sweaty men we love, as different as they are similar, embracing in laughter, exchanging hive fives and shouting obnoxious remarks toward each other. Commonalities, similarities and coincidences remind me how much I need to make time for those friends I love.

The look of another woman at your man is something to smile about. I used to be the kinda girl to step to another woman in a second, start some drama and cause a scene. Some how, life has given me a new perspective and I would be more likely to prevent than provoke. I could not help to notice the head to toe stares of the blonde near the corner of the pool table, watching my husband. I know he came with and will leave with me, the one he loves, so why not have some fun with it? I am reminded by his gentle hand on my back, his embraces between shots and his laughter at my jokes (about her,) that I may be the luckiest girl in the place. Enjoy that pretty smile girls, be envious of his love, he’s sexy and he knows it, and he’s mine.

If at first you don’t succeed, get some help and carry on. The first few jumped up on that bull with no problem, “Two jumps and a hop” said the DJ. Then came the big girl, she was not as big as me… but not a size 3. She jump, jump, hopped and slid right back down that bull. Tried again, and retreated. NO GIRL, now I was scared! A few riders later was another failed attempt by a skinny chick, this time the bull operator jumped the matt and offered her a knee, and up she went. Yup, somebody’s doing that for me. Joe knelt, kneed up and I hopped on up. I did it, 12 seconds. It took four times to add up to 12, but it was a blast. I encouraged and offered up my husband’s knee to a few friends and a few more strangers, just for the courage of a big girl. I even offered his knee to the one who retreated, but she said she conquered it the week prior and didn’t want to get back on.

There you have it, a night with a few friends, a bull and a bunch of lessons. I was able to cross an item off the list, add a new item to cross off and be reminded of a few life lessons. Save a horse, ride a homeboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment